Easter is a time of feasting, family and fun. However it also presents a number of dangers that

Pet Parents should be aware of. Read on to learn about common Easter dangers and how to avoid them.


Chocolate (1 of 6)

Around Easter time, cases of chocolate (Theobromine) poisoning are increased due to Easter Egg hunts.

Cocoa contains Theobromine, which is metabolised far slower in non-primate animals. Chocolate toxicity

occurs when the body becomes overloaded with Theobromine. Usually the darker and more bitter the

chocolate, the more toxic it is to dogs.


Foil Wrapping (2 of 6)

Easter eggs hunts also pose a threat to pets around this time, due to the foil wrapping that are often

discarded. Foil can cause choking and can also be a dangerous intestinal obstruction, which may require

surgical intervention is performed.


Easter Grass (3 of 6)

This is the shredded paper or cellophane often found at the bottom of Easter baskets. Composed of long

threads, Easter grass can become anchored at the base of the tongue or stomach, preventing it from

passing through the intestines. This can lead to intestinal trauma and may require surgery. 


Hot Cross Buns (4 of 6)

These may be a treat for us, but can be deadly for dogs. This is because sultanas, grapes and raisins are

toxic to dogs even in small amounts. Symptoms typically develop a few hours after consumption and can

include vomiting, abdominal pain, kidney failure and death if left untreated. 


Lilies (5 of 6)

While these flowers make a beautiful bouquet, they are extremely toxic to cats. All parts of the lily are toxic,

which means cats who simply groom pollen off their fur can be poisoned. Ingestion can lead to severe

kidney damage, resulting in kidney failure within 1-3 days and death within 3-7 days.


Sugar Free Candy (6 of 6)

Sometimes being good to yourself can be worse for your pet. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is toxic

to dogs. It’s toxic because it is absorbed rapidly in the bloodstream of non-primate animals, resulting in

a fast insulin release from the pancreas. This results in hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) within 10-60

minutes of consumption and can progress to seizures, liver failure and death.